Featured Post

best posts

Click the links below  >complexity and AI: why LLMs succeeded where generative linguistics failed >the sociology of false beliefs >...

Thursday, October 1, 2026

expert confirmation and the charlatan's check

Chase Hughes promotes himself as an expert in psyops and psychological manipulation. He says upfront, "I'm an expert" and immediately tells you a factoid that you already know, which makes you think, yes, the expert confirms what I believe! I'm so smart, I knew I was right, and now the expert has confirmed, and this expert is one I will believe because he's telling the truth. 

Compare for a moment this manipulation with science. Science will tell you things you never could have imagined. The earth is round. Space is curved. Time goes slower as you move faster. Chomsky's "language cannot be learned." One after another, scientific information that tells you how little you know, how little you understand. 

He follows up with a warning to beware of others. "You can trust me because I'm warning you about those you shouldn't trust." Indeed, he is an expert in manipulation.  

Here's where the public stands: ignorance and simplicity masquerading as the "real truth", but actually nothing more than commonplaces of ignorance. The quality of information depends on its audience. If it's a human audience, that quality will be low. 

Science caters to no audience. Note the difference in quality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment